Omakase Berry Tartine with Fresh Ricotta and Strawberry Sofrito
This recipe was developed for a special event at the Food Education Fund in NYC, preparing high school students for a career in the culinary arts. It's a sweet and savory Omakase Berry toast with caramelized Omakase Berry sofrito, creamy ricotta, and fresh marinated berries.
What You'll Need
- 1/2 Cup Olive Oil
- 1/2 White Onion; Finely Diced
- 1/2 Bulb of Fennel; Finely Diced
- 20 Frozen Omakase Berries
- 6 Fresh Omakase Berries; Quartered
- 1/4 Cup Untoasted Pine Nuts
- 4 Slices Sourdough Bread Toasted in Olive Oil
- 4 Tbsp Chopped Herbs (Parsley, Tarragon, Chive Mix)
- 2.5 Tbsp Lemon Zest
- 3/4 Cup Fresh Ricotta
- 4 Tbsp Parmesan Cheese Grated
- Olive Oil, Lemon Juice, Salt, and Pepper to Taste
How to make it:
- For the sofrito, heat 8 tbsp olive oil in a medium pan, then add diced onions, fennel, and pine nuts. Over low heat, sauté until the nuts turn a light brown color.
- Add the frozen Omakase Berries, and cook down over very low heat while continuously stirring until it turns a dark red color and the oil separates. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Next, mix ricotta with chopped herbs, lemon zest, parmesan, salt, and pepper.
- Mix quartered fresh Omakase Berries with a squeeze of lemon juice and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Smear sofrito over toast, then top with the ricotta, then the fresh marinated berries. Top with more olive oil and fresh herbs if desired.