Omakase Berry and Alba Truffle Carpaccio
This vegan friendly pairing from chef Neal Harden of abcV is wonderful for all its contrasting fragrances and textures. The crunchy sea salt on the plush, ripe strawberry. The earthy, savory fragrance of winter truffle against the ethereal summeriness of the berry.
What you'll need:
1. 1 Omakase Strawberry, sliced into thin rounds crosswise
2. 2 Tbs. Hojiblanca Olive Oil or other fine quality extra virgin olive oil
3. 1 madagascar vanilla bean
4. A few slices of fresh white alba truffle, quite thin (can be found at Eli's Market)
5. 1/2 tsp. Soured Cashew Cream (Dr. Cow's products are made locally in Brooklyn)
6. Course Trapani Sea Salt or Fleur De Sel
How to make it:
1. Split and scrape seeds out of the vanilla bean and whisk into the olive oil and set aside.
2. Arrange strawberry slices on a plate and dab the cream in the middle.
3. Sprinkle a few grains of the sea salt around the dish and as many sliced truffle as you like.
4. Drizzle a little bit of the oil over (saving the rest for another usage, it has a long shelf life).
5. Enjoy at the beginning of a meal or as a transition to dessert.